Sunday, December 11, 2011

Getting in the Mood: Wild Westlands Speakeasy

So a week this past Thursday, the circus I'm directing called The Van Duzer Sisters and their Wild Westlands Show held a little preview event with a 1920s theme (the period of the show) to get up some buzz before campus closes for the winter holiday.  Normally when I think speakeasies I think down, but our space ended up being at the top of a staircase, which worked out swimmingly!

No, I haven't changed my hair-that's what wigs are for!

Two of the bands we're working with for the show (The Friendly Strangers and The Known World Radio Crew's house band) provided some lively music for us to kick our heels up to and we mixed up the evening with preview performances from some of the circus's acts for the show in February.  On a whim, I carted my family's card set up as well and we had roulette running throughout the evening to add to the atmosphere.
The whole shebang was a blast, and there were enough requests for a repeat that we may be popping up again sometime...we'll just have to see how many things I can rhinestone this holiday!  In the meantime, here are a few snaps of the night provided by my friend over at Visually Stunning.










It was a lovely evening.  A little scandal, a LOT of glitter, and some flying fringe were the perfect combination for a step back in time and a hop 'round the floor.


~L

No comments:

Post a Comment