Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Burns Night

This blog is undergoing some growing pains, as usually occurs when I rely on other people for pictures because I fail to charge my camera (oops).  In the meantime, I wanted to share something cool that some friends participated in today.  Tonight is Burns Night, a holiday in honor of Robert Burns, the national poet of Scotland (it's his birthday, in fact).
Traditionally, this is celebrated with a Burns Supper including haggis, neeps, and tatties.  Burns's poem, Address to the Haggis is read before eating.  Another traditional Scottish activity, dancing, often occurs at events called ceilidhs.
Why am I telling you this?  Because in honor of Burns Night 2012 some awesome people had a flash mob ceilidh in Edinburgh.  Here's a video of it!
http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/news/arts-culture/26333-dancing-haggis-add-some-spice-to-burns-flash-mob/

and pictures of the dancing haggis...
http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2012/01/ceilidh-flashmob/

(Sorry, I couldn't make those embed.)

Basically, I want to dance all the time.  Instead I spent all day reading about the insula's role in disgust recognition.  Good thing I love my thesis...


No comments:

Post a Comment