As I've mentioned previously, I'm mixing period hand sewing techniques and machine sewing to accomplish a decently accurate ensemble in a short amount of time. I'm learning a lot, and I look forward to making more 18th century garments in the future!
First, my stays can now go onto my body and be worn, which is awesome because it means I can start making the things that need to be fit over my stays. I'm reasonably happy with the fit, and as this is my first foray into stay-making I will accept that as a win. This week I went to my friend's house so she could lace me in and help with fitting my dress lining. She also kindly took a bunch of pictures of my making ridiculous faces in my various layers, so that I could post. Pardon the grainy cell phone quality!
|stays! I haven't fully cut my tabs yet, but otherwise these are in good shape (I'm also wearing the new 18th century chemise that you haven't seen yet)|
|my biggest concession to modernity was to use grommets instead of hand-sewing eyelets. so much faster, which was a necessity here!|
|and from the back. these can probably be laced slightly tighter, but I'd just eaten my weight in mozzarella sticks so we went a little easy :)|
|I did say silly faces...|
Both are constructed in the same manner, based on Katherine's tutorial. I was sneaky and used the selvage edge of the cotton for the bottom of each petticoat, so that I didn't have to hem anything. The white petticoat is a little narrower (about 55 inches across), while the rust-colored one is fuller.
|I think I was explaining to my friend that there are pockets|
|my petticoat fabric with the stash printed cotton for a robe a l'anglaise (someday...)|
I've also done a mockup of the dress lining, adjusted the pattern, and cut it out. Hopefully this weekend I can assemble the lining for real, and be ready to start the dress next week.
|from the back|