|making bowers during the Grand March. What a lovely mix of uniforms and civilian tails!|
I've had a lot going on the past couple of months, and I really want to make some new things for the Regency Weekend in April, so I decided not to make anything new for this ball. Instead, I worked on fixing the dress I wore last year--fixing issues is something I rarely do, and I need to get better at making it a habit. What a difference it made!
|last year at RH: wrinkly, gap-y bodice|
|this year: no gaps in the neckline and no wrinkles!|
When I originally made my pink plaid ballgown last March, the waist was too long. When the dress was on over my hoops (with the waistline at my waist, where it was supposed to be), there was too much room in the bodice, and it meant the whole bodice was wrinkled and the neckline gaped. To fix it, I should have taken the skirt off the waistband, shortened the bodice, and reattached the skirt higher up...but I really didn't want to do that. I had a lot of trouble cartridge pleating this fabric because my thread kept breaking, and I was afraid undoing the waist seam would ruin the pleats. So instead, I took a tuck out of the waist just above the seam--the adjustment was visible, but I made a quick velvet sash to cover it. Voila! A bodice that actually fits!
|a much better fit, and a fabulous sash!|
I am always discouraged when I finish a project and it doesn't fit perfectly, but making adjustments is part of why clothes I make for myself could end up fitting perfectly once I fix them. I need to get in the habit of doing that, rather than abandoning the project or learning to live with the bad fit. Lesson learned!
And a few more Returning Heroes shots:
|setting up for refreshments|
|serving Charlotte Russe|